Apple Airport Time Capsule/Extreme vs Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Router Speed Tests (DDWRT)

I recently switched routers to Apple Airport Time Capsule (AC version) and I wanted to do a couple speed tests with my previous Netgear R7000 Nighthawk running DDWRT. I tested 2 versions of DDWRT and the most uptodate firmware of Time Capsule. I only tested 5.0GHz network so when I get time I will go back and test the 2.4GHz as well. I would also like to run stock firmware on the Netgear and test that as well.


              




  • 1st test was Upload/Download speeds to see if there was a difference which depends on what internet speed you have with ISP (I have TWC and 100Mbps/5Mbps in NYC.
  • 2nd test was wireless thoroughput vs gigabit landline


  • Equipment



    This is the chart I made in excel with all the numbers. I then made graphs, shown below, out of the data


    1st Test



    For some reason my iphone much preferred AC with time capsule





    Can be misleading the changes as they are actually minimal. I have 5Mbps upload so they are all above what I should be getting

    2nd Test



    Not sure why such a big discrepancy using gigabit ethernet, but obviously Im getting much faster read speeds with time capsule





    Again, not sure why speeds differe with gigabit ethernet, but time capsule write speeds doubled the Netgears



    I posted below my previous speed tests of Netgear Nighthawk stock vs Nighthawk DDWRT vs Asus RT-N66U


                         

    Decided to upgrade router to Netgear R7000 AC1900 router due to good newegg deal and I tested the speeds on iPhone 5S, 13" Macbook Pro and Hackintosh Desktop. I used speedtest.net for all measurements. Tests were done in Phoenix, AZ with Cox Internet in apartment complex (lots of interference). I tested 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ for all + Powerline on Hackintosh

    Some errors to point out - for some reason forgot to test 2.4GHz on Asus N66U DDWRT

    First going to start with Netgear R7000 - DDWRT 23550M-R01

    Hackintosh 2.4GHz

    Hackintosh 5.0GHz

    Hackintosh Powerline

    iPhone 5S 2.4GHz

    iPhone 5S 5.0GHz

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz

    Macbook Pro 5.0GHz


    Next Netgear R7000 Stock - V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 (Latest firmware)

    Hackintosh 2.4GHz

    Hackintosh 5.0GHz

    Hackintosh Powerline

    iPhone 5S 2.4GHz

    iPhone 5S 5.0GHz

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz

    Macbook Pro 5.0GHz

    Lastly, Asus N66U with DDWRT installed

    Hackintosh 5.0GHz

    Hackintosh Powerline

    HTPC LAN

    iPhone 5S 2.4GHz

    iPhone 5S 5.0GHz

    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz

    Macbook Pro 5.0GHz


    I then put all the data into Graph. For some reason stock R7000 2.4GHz were much faster than others. I rarely use 2.4GHz and the options of DDWRT are necessary for my setup so I will stick with DDWRT on R7000. I don't have any AC devices to test that function yet.