Bose IE2 In Ear Headphones Review




Click picture above to get a ridiculous price for these right now of $69.95. Dell also has these for $10 less so you can either buy from them or get Amazon to credit you the difference if you want to use Prime shipping!!!!!!


These are the sixth or seventh set of earbuds I've had for a succession of iPods and iPhones. I'm slightly hard of hearing, and I've gone for the 'phones that get best reviews for sound. Before these, the best I've had were the Klipsch s4i; those produce great sound, and good noise isolation, but I had to jam them so far into the ear canal that they got uncomfortable after a short while, or if I were sweating.

The Bose 'phones don't get quite so far into the bass as the Klipsch, but nothing I've ever tried beats them for clarity of overall sound. Nothing else even comes close. I find myself hearing lyrics clearly for the first time; the overall crispness and balance is absolutely amazing. I don't miss the pounding bass at all.

And I've decided, after wearing these for a couple of days, that noise isolation is over-rated. Sure, I can hear what's going on around me, but the same holds true when I hear music live, or listen over a speaker system. With the clarity of sound that Bose delivers, my attention is focussed on the music, even in a coffee shop where there are people talking at neighboring tables. I've even found that I can listen comfortably at significantly lower volumes and still distinguish the words and hear every riff and arpeggio distinctly.

And speaking of comfort. Wow! When I first put these on, I was sure that they were going to fall out, because I wasn't able to jam them into my ear canal. Didn't happen. These ear pieces sit most lightly, and they never budge! (I did find that the large tips fit my ears better and feel more secure than the medium tips that are on the ear pieces coming out of the box.) I can wear these for hours, and I feel no discomfort whatever. And because I'm listening at lower volumes, and the 'phones are not isolating me from my environment, I don't even have to take them out when I'm dealing with a cashier at a store or getting a grocery list from my wife.

Construction quality seems superb; the cables are thick and fairly stiff, so they don't tend to tangle. The "Stay Hear" tips clip into place, so that I can be virtually certain that I won't have the problem I've had with other earbuds (especially the Apple In-Ear units) that the tip stays in my ear when I pull the bud out.

The MIE2i handles the iPhone functions just fine, although, like with most iPhone headsets, it takes some practice to feel the inline controls with precision, so that you don't stop the music accidentally when you just meant to change the volume; double-clicking is just as sensitive and tricky as it is on other iPhone sets. Clarity at both ends is excellent, and the stiffness of the cables keeps the mike from rubbing on my clothes and generating noise.

The only negative thing I have to say about the Bose is that they are glaringly ugly. The cables are a bizarre black-and-white swirl; combine that unfortunate design decision with the fact that the shape of the buds and the stiffness of the cable causes the cables to stick out from your ear further than most earbuds, and the whole thing calls attention to itself and looks more than a little ridiculous. [Update: The cables relax over time, and though I still think that a uniform black (or white) would be more attractive, the buds don't seem nearly as ugly as they did when I first wrote the review. BTW, they are really, really durable; I use them all the time, and they are still sound and work just as well as they did when I bought them nearly three years ago.]

Still, if you're looking for great sound and awesome comfort in a pair of earbuds that you're likely to be using for a long time, look no further than the Bose MIE2i. Worth every penny.

Review from Richard Blumberg on Amazon


Bose® IE2 audio headphones

Bose IE2 In-Ear Headphones
  • A new standard of audio quality for greater musical detail
  • Advanced design, durable materials for lasting quality
  • StayHear® tips for greater stability during exercise and other activities
  • Hours of comfortable on-the-go listening
  • Protective carrying case included

Bose® IE2 In-Ear Headphones: Better Sound Through Research

Bose® IE2 audio headphones set a new standard for sound reproduction that conventional earbuds can't match. Re-engineered from the inside out, they feature an enhanced acoustic design that helps music sound smoother and more natural. And its new approach to construction provides a more secure fit and improved durability.
More Natural Sound
range and realism
Enjoy more range and realism than you can achieve with typical earbuds
IE2 headphones reproduce music with more range and realism than most typical earbuds. A modified port design, in concert with Bose's proprietary TriPort® acoustic headphone structure, results in a richer audio performance with more detail in music's high frequencies. More clarity, even at louder volume levels--an overall presence you'd expect from much larger headphones.
Designed to Stay Put While You Move
Proprietary StayHear silicone tips offer greater in-ear stability during exercise and other active sports. Advanced materials and design allow the tips to nestle inside the bowl of the ear while also naturally conforming to the ear's upper ridge. The tips come in three sizes to fit listeners comfortably for hours on end. StayHear tips also are designed to remain more securely on the headphone itself. Overall, they provide a better on-the-go listening experience.
More Durability
IE2 headphones are sturdier than ever, thanks to advanced materials, construction and manufacturing techniques--all adding up to more lasting quality for you. Each pair undergoes rigorous testing to meet Bose standards for performance and durability.
in-ear stability
Achieve greater in-ear stability during exercise with the Bose IE2 headphones
Versatility and Convenience
Bose IE2 headphones are engineered specifically for listening with MP3 players, laptops and portable CD players. The cable's angled plug fits directly into sources with recessed headphone jacks.
Also included are a sleek, protective carrying case with room for a portable MP3 player, plus original-style tips in three sizes.
IE2 In-Ear Headphones Highlights
  • Greater in-ear stability from proprietary StayHear ear tips that nestle inside the bowl of the ear while naturally conforming to the ear's upper ridge.
  • Enhanced acoustic design incorporating a new port to help music sound smoother and more natural.
  • TriPort® acoustic headphone structure available only from Bose, produces tonally balanced audio with deep low notes from small, in-ear headphones.
  • Reliable cable construction enhances flexibility and durability to better withstand the rigors of everyday use.
  • S, M and L removable silicone StayHear tips for an adjustable, personal fit.
  • lasting quality
    Advanced materials, construction, and manufacturing techniques provide lasting quality
  • Angled plug for extensive compatibility with most MP3 players, including most iPod® models, as well as laptops and portable CD and DVD players.
  • Protective carrying case for storing headphones and a portable MP3 player.
  • Hologram label provides a visual identifier and unique product code signifying the headphones are a genuine article from Bose. The hologram also has various security features that enable Bose to confirm the authenticity of the label. On Bose in-ear headphones, the label is located on the back side of the Y-joint's housing, where the wire splits off to each ear.
Product Dimensions
Headphones
(one side, with StayHear® tip)
1.3"H x 1.02"W x .59"D
( 3.3 cm x 2.59 cm x 1.5 cm )
Cable length from earbud to headphone plug45.25 in (115 cm)
( 9.6 cm x 7.4 cm )
What's in the box
  • IE2 audio headphones
  • 1 pair each of S, M and L StayHear tips
  • Protective carrying case